Hey Ya'll!
Well another wonderful week down here in Metairie. I
love it so much here. I love the people and just seeing them makes me so
happy! These people are amazing. The Church isn't that strong, so we
have lots of work to do. We work a lot with inactives. I've learn how
much the storm (Katrina) has affected every one here. They still talk
about it like it was yesterday and you can tell how it shook people's
lives. I hope for the better it brought humility to the people. I love
being here for pretty much every reason under the sun. I feel blessed to
be sent to such a special mission.
One miracle we saw this past weekend was with P*** N*****. In short,
here's his story. He was investigating the church for a while and
Sister Price and Lo (from Temple Square) were teaching him, but he just
kind of wanted to know everything before acting. He is very intelligent.
Elder Bednar came down here and spoke at a stake conference and before
the meeting he met with a few less actives and investigators and they
asked him questions. P*** was a part of that group and when Elder Bednar
got up in Skate Conference to give his talk, he said "a young man asked
me a question today and I wish to answer his question today to all of
you." The question was how do you know when it's the Spirit talking, or
just you. This was P***'s question! On Elder Bednar's way out after the
meeting, he only stopped and shook one persons hand and left. That
person was P***! Sister Price was amazed because even though she didn't
know in the meeting that that was P***'s question, she knew it was his
major concern and that it definitely addressed it. But not only that.
The night prior, P*** had prayed and asked Heavenly Father that if this
man truly was an Apostle that he would somehow point him out of the
crowd at stake conference. (Which is quite the thing to ask for in a
prayer! But Sister Price had no idea he had asked for this...) But Elder
Bednar most definitely did that. He met with him before, he addressed his
question, he shook his hand. There was no doubt in the world that his
prayer was answered in an unusual and extraordinary way! It was a
miracle and eventually P*** was baptized! The apostles and servants of
the Lord truly do walk as directed by the Holy Spirit. However, P***
sadly fell into inactivity shortly after his baptism. (Just shows how
even amazing miracles do not produce conversion. We need to continue
doing those small and simple things. Study the Scriptures, Pray, attend
church, serve people, etc. It's just SO important!) But anyways... We
just haven't been able to get a hold of him at all, no matter what we
do! Finally on Saturday, he responded to one of our texts inviting him
to a movie night! We couldn't believe it and were SO excited. But then
on Sunday morning, we were doing companionship study and who should text
us but P***! asking "Church starts at 11 right?" WOW!!!! We couldn't
have even dreamed of this. We ran through the apartment so excited. We
of course texted him and told him it was at 10:20 now, and when we got
to the church, sure enough he was there!!! What a miracle. I think his
girlfriend has been holding him back cause she's kind of against the
church. I don't know what caused his heart to soften, but I'm grateful
that this Spirit did and I just pray pray pray that he'll be able to
return and remain active in the Church. It's such a battle to get them
there sometimes, and you just pray they'll show, but you can only do so
much! You develop such a love for these people and know this will bless
them, but of course that change has to come from within themselves.
That's why the Spirit is so important in this work. We cannot do
anything that will further this work except it be through the Spirit.
I'm just so blessed and grateful that you raised me knowing the
importance of this gospel. Thank you for instilling righteous habits in
our family from when we were young. I think it's made such a difference
and it really is such a blessing to have that in life. Seeing people
that have been less fortunate and struggle to grasp hold of the gospel
just breaks my heart, so I feel very very blessed to have had that
upbringing and solid foundation of faith. Thank you! I love you all so
much! The work is moving forward and I'm working hard to be the best I
can and make every moment count. I know the Lord guides us and makes our
time worthwhile. We find people that are so kind and receptive as we go
throughout our day. Recently we have been called angels a lot by a lot
of different people, even the first time we meet them! It made me think
that it's really not us but the Holy Spirit that they feel and see and
I'm so grateful for the sacred gift and companionship. Heavenly Father
is mindful of us all and is truly looking out for us!
Love you all so so much!!
Sister Mullen
No comments:
Post a Comment