Saturday, October 22, 2011

Letter #25: Fire

Hello Hello!

Well it's been a good week. I'm trying to think of what's happened... a lot!
Well I'll start from right after I last "talked" to you.
Saturday was a good, restful, and fun PDay. A bunch of the sisters went to a Brazilian grill and ate our little hearts out! I ate SO much meat, but it felt good to get some real and decent meat/food into my body! I'll attach a picture-  this is me and my companion sister Au-Yeung and our lovely APs sis Farmer (Colorodo. Hayley she actually was in our ward at the Colony and she remembers you! She did her papers with Bishop Munoa too!) and Rodriguez (Mexico).

I LOVE them. We had a lot of fun. Then I went home, wrote letters.... went to bed... what felt like a few moments later (1:48am) we were woken by pounding on our door.... eventually we rolled out of bed and my roommates (Sis Bleyl, from Virgina & also lived in the Colony, and Hirt, from Alaska and my first District Leader) had already gotten to the door. Sister Hirt says to us "Put on your shoes, there's a fire!" I kinda stand there still half asleep and repeat back to her..." there's a shoe on fire?" "NO! There's a fire get your shoes and get outside!" OOOOOOhhhh... so then sis Bleyl says "ok I just need to go to the bathroom." CLEARLY we were still a little out of it and it took us a minute to realize what was going on, but we quickly realized that there was some serious danger and we got out of there fast. 
The apartment building next to us caught fire.  We could see the billowing flames coming from the roof and glass windows shattering... kinda intense! But we all got out safely and 200 sister missionaries in our pajamas ran across the little field (getting soaked my sprinklers in the process), met and counted to ensure we were all safe, and began to pray that our apartments would be safe. They were! We all got out safe and sound, and our apartments weren't touched. The Lord really looks out for his missionaries. We went back to bed and President arrived and said we were canceling 7:30am sacrament meeting tomorrow and to be at the square at 10 unless we had an earlier assignment. That way we could at least get a few decent hours of sleep before working the next day. I had a crazy killer headache/perma-brainfreeze from having a wet head from the sprinklers, but I got enough sleep and was good the next day. Everything is fine and we were happy that our emergency plans worked so well. What REALLY was amazing was that the very night before, President had called a quick mission meeting at 8pm and reviewed all these safety procedures and precautions to the sister missionaries.... He just felt it was needed! And what should happen the very next day? a big fire, so it's pretty amazing to see how the Lord prepares us so we were really ready and calm and wow... it was just amazing! We all feel very blessed.
So that was our little adventure last weekend.... In the actual department of missionary work, we've been busy with various office assignments. It's been Zone conference this week so it's been fun coordinating lunches from various stakes that were so generous and provided us lunch. I attended zone conference yesterday (friday) in the conference center (not the auditorium... our mission isn't THAT big) in a little multi-purpose room. It was neat. President, the Assistants and 3 of the 7 sets of Zone Leaders taught us and we practice a lot of our teaching and it was just so inspiring. The major thing that I gained from it was the need to focus on baptism. That really is our purpose as missionaries and if we are not inviting people to be baptized, we are not fulfilling our calling. This can be hard on Temple Square, but actually now that we teach on the phones and stuff it is possible! However, it's still kinda hard, and has its challenges and in a sense, you feel that you sort of teach the beginnings and hand them off to the local missionaries once you can get them to church and things, but I realized that this isn't right. I, Sister Mullen, need to be preparing them for this sacred ordinance. This is my purpose and so... well... Sis Au-Yeung and I really took it to heart and as always, we saw great miracles because of it!
Remember the lovely man D**** who called in cause of the referral card? Well... I invited him to be baptized yesterday after teaching him a little bit and he said "I would LOVE to!" He's so excited and he and his 10 year old son are preparing. Turns our there's senior couple missionaries that live in his apartment building and he just can take the elevator up to see him! The elders live across the street! He's going to church with them on sunday and also to a baptism. He's been reading the Book of Mormon and praying and is just SO Golden. In short- it was a miracle! There's no way that I would have had the faith to invite him to be baptized if it were not for the Lord preparing us that very morning in zone conference. And actually not only him but also this girl names S***! I called her and talked to her. She was taught by S____ P____ (who you talked about mom just the other week) in Vegas but just moved and is now so prepared. It was my very first time talking to her, and it had only been a couple minutes, but I actually invited her to be baptized as well and she accepted! She said it's something she's been wanting for a long time and now she's going for it! I am so happy for S*** and D**** and I know that this really is the way, the only way, that we can return and live with our Father in Heaven again. He has prepared this path for us for our happiness, and the joy it brings is amazing and miraculous. I've been so blessed to have it in my life since I was such a young girl, and I'm thrilled that they will soon be experiencing that beautiful gift for themselves. What a difference it makes in this life, but more importantly, what it'll bring us in the life to come. I know it'll bless them SO much and so that is why I am so excited for them!! What a blessing it has also been for me to play a small part in them finding this gospel. 

So anyways... that was a little about my week. We truly are so blessed to see miracles every day. i LOVE sister Au-Yeung. She's just wonderful and always sooooo happy and we have WAY too much fun together. Serving in the office has been great! It's true we don't get as much time on the square as we normally would have (that's why I missed Paige when she came... although I did get the memo that she was looking for me! She's so sweet! tell her hi for me!!!), but yea. I really do love my calling to serve here too. You see the mission in an entirely different perspective and it's neat to kinda see the big picture of the entire mission. It's incredible what this mission alone accomplishes.

Sis Au-Yeung and I are going to be Mulan and the lucky cricket for Halloween (not that we'll get a chance to actually dress up, but still! We're having fun planning. We're going to carve a pumpkin cause she's never done it before!!! imagine?!?! so different.... it's like she grew up on the other side of the world or something?!?! haha... oh wait... she did!) But my name in Chinese kinda translates to Mulan instead of Mullen... which people think is cool... I think so too... and every week one of my jobs in the office is to scan all the Chinese referrals and send them out, so in a sense I feel like I save china every week.... and so with those two AMAZING reasons that's why I'm going to be Mulan for Halloween and she (being so cute and little) is my lucky cricket bug that I love so much :)
Love you family!!! Keep writing and I hope you all know that you're in my thoughts and prayers and I love you so so so much!!
Love
Sis Mullen
ps- sorry for the random, long, scattered email!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment