Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Letter #58: Alma 26:8

SOOOOO much has happened this week... Maybe I can explain a few with pictures.

SISTER PRICE IS BEING TRANSFERRED!!! My heart hurts a little bit, but I know it's the Lords will and so it'll be great! My new companion is Sister Palmer from Utah and I'm excited to meet up with her tomorrow and get to know her. I have adored Sister Price and seriously lover her so much- she's just genuinely one of the best friends I've ever had, so I'll miss her a lot, but in Provo 2013 we'll both have many more fun times down at the Y, so it's all good. 
Here are some of our goodbyes, and also a chance for you to meet some of my favorite Metairie people!!!

C******!!! Her's was the hardest goodbye. She just held Sister Price forever... probably 5-10 minutes, not even exaggerating. I loved it!! haha so here's a picture of that. One of the greatest miracles of prayer I've seen on my mission and the power of attending church. Last Sunday she called really struggling whether she'd be able to make it to church because she was feeling so low with depression. We prayed and sang "I am a Child of God" with her over the phone and she decided she needed to come. During PEC, she called and was kinda anxious again so left a message. We couldn't answer the phone in the meeting and the 6 missionaries in our district were sitting in a row against the back wall of the room, and I just whispered almost just in exasperation "Ugh! Pray for C******!" To my surprised, Elder Bawden whispered to Elder Brockbank, who whispered to Elder Provost, who whispered to Elder Johnson.... one by one their heads bowed and they immediately started praying for C******. Although I didn't expect such an immediate response, I was extremely touched by their faith and sincerity! and Sister Price and I of course bowed our heads too and started praying for C****** too. It was a powerful moment, six missionaries in a row all silently praying for the same individual. She came to church! She was definitely touched by the Spirit and I haven't seen a person change so dramatically in such a short time as I have her. I know it's the Holy Ghost that wrought that change. She's been so happy, optimistic, and her relationships with her family have been stronger. Her desire to be baptized is growing stronger and stronger and I look forward to that day so much!

Next is P*** N*****. I've told you about him, but seriously one of the greatest miracles ever. This week was stake conference and in the Saturday night session, he was called up by the Stake President to come and bear his testimony. What an amazing thing that was, especially for Sister Price to see before leaving. From an investigator, to baptized, to less active, to coming back, to bearing testimony in front of the stake. Amazing. P*** to me is a witness that signs and miracles are still given from prayers of faith.

A few other fun people: The H****** family! OOOH how I love them!
And Sister V**** teaching us how to make a roux for Gumbo!
We ate everything at her house from Shrimp to crawfish, cracking them open and pinching the tails (it's a whole new world down here I'm telling you! I'm actually pretty shocked and proud of myself for the things I've eaten, and the fact that I've enjoyed every minute of it is a miracle! haha)

Here's us also eating Gator at the French Market
and Jackson Square (beautiful!!!)
Here's M*****, Sister Price and I at the temple, after the first time he did Baptisms there. That was an AMAZING experience.
And a picture of the district (my family down south).
Also Brother M* R******- He's probably one of the most hilarious and amazing recent members EVER!


In short- the work down here is so much fun! I love it. I love the people, the members, the food even! I feel so inadequate for this work sometimes, but knowing it is not my ability that I can trust in, but rather the Lords gives me a lot of comfort and strength. As long as I can feel and listen to the Spirit, it's ok.  I know this church is true! I know that Joseph Smith was a prophet and above all, I know Heavenly Father loves us that he sent his son Jesus Christ to die for us. Angels are here to look out for us. The Holy Ghost teaches, guides and comforts us. Families can be together forever through sacred ordinances in the Temples. I love you all so much. Pray. Study the scriptures. I know these are the keys to knowledge, peace and joy. Love you all so much!

Love, 
Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment