Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Letter #52: Louisianna Love

What a miracle week!! I can't remember if I told you about S*** last week, but she and her daughter T****** came to church yesterday! They loved it and without us even asking said they'd be coming every week! We taught her the restoration and we watched the DVD and she said it just made a lot more sense and she really feels good about everything. She committed to be Baptized and we're really excited and working with her so she'll be ready to do that! The more I work out here, the more I realized that we don't do anything! We just pray and let the Lord guide us to those that are ready. He does the finding. He does the teaching. He softens the hearts. It's just a blessing to sometimes be the tool he chooses to use and be present when he's bringing about these miracles! For example- D***** G****. She's incredible! She's being Baptized on Saturday and we got a call from her this morning just because she wanted to tell us how excited she is!! She's just SO happy and making these big changes that are bringing her strength and joy. I know we couldn't do that- It's the Spirit! She always points out how the Spirit gives her goosebumps, she's so cute! I just love her so so much! Seeing her quit smoking and commit to living the gospel and really understanding has been so humbling and amazing to me. She has the purest heart and has no desire to do anything but follow God's will. Her first husband died of cancer and now her second husband B**** (who also is starting to come back to church!!) has cancer and is not doing too great. We constantly pray for them, but I love seeing their enthusiasm for the gospel and desire to be there, to start FHE and to pray and be closer to Heavenly Father. They've taught me so much. I used to think that missions were for us to go out and finding those people and help them change their lives, but now I'm finding it's truly the opposite. These people are great and the Lord would have them find the gospel in one way or another, but the blessing is that he uses you and that you're able to find them and know them. It's me who's blessed by us knowing each other much much more than them ever knowing me. It's so humbling and I love it!

Another miracle is J***! Sister Price used to teach him but just lost contact. We were in the neighborhood and she felt we should stop by and he was home! We got to meet his daughter, hold cute turtles that were the size of a loonie, teach the restoration, pray with him and he's planning and excited to be baptized June 9th. You cannot say that miracles do not happen- they are constantly happening!

Another major highlight of the week was seeing M***** S**** use his new priesthood. He passed the sacrament for the first time on Sunday... His faith and testimony are so strong he amazes me! I love M***** so much!

I really love working with members. We work with a lot of less-actives and do a lot of service!! I've been able to help paint every Saturday since I've been here! Haha and thanks to my Hardings Painting days I didn't completely destroy the walls! I just love it out here. I love meeting people! They're so nice and friendly. I love visiting old ladies, people in the hosptial, active members and doing FHE with them, gardening for them, studying for them. I love sitting and reading with investigators and meeting people on the street and telling them about the church and giving them a pass-along card (which is so much easier to do than I thought!)

I LOOOOVE my companion! Sister Price and I are kindred spirits and just work really well and hard together. She's getting me in better shape too because she runs like a Cheetah and I feel like a little warthog prancing behind her... haha it's so great! She's been in Metairie from 10 months! So she knows every one really well and helps me to get to know the area and ward. You can tell how much the ward loves her, cause she's really a part of them! She's an amazing example of Christ-like service and love and I feel so blessed to have such a solid companion- all my companions have been amazing and taught me so much! The Lord really loves me.

Well, above all the thing I love most about being in Lousiana is seeing the atonement work in people. People really can change! It's only possible through Christ's atonement, but people can become new people. I've witnessed it! I see people change as we sit down with them and talk, as they come to church. Less-actives that have fallen away start coming back and it's so hard but you know they can do it and they want to! I've seen that a lot in C**** D****- he's AMAZING. He's really trying to repent and feel forgiven and trying to come back. He even had his shirt ironed Saturday night, but didn't quite make it this week. I know he's close though!

D** M***** came! He's been investigating for a while and wants to know everything, but hasn't come to church in a long time. He came! He showed up for the sacrament and had to go pick up his son before the testimonies started, but still! It just makes you so happy to see people make these small steps because you know the Lord will bless them for it and they'll have more joy. The promise is sure. No matter how far you've fallen or how long it's been, you've never sunk too low for the atoning arms of Christ to pull you back up. (It's like Elder Hollands talk about the Laborers in the Vineyard- ya'll should read that one again. It's probably my favorite!) The Atonement is real. I've seen it in my life and the lives of those here in Lousiana.

New Orleans is an interesting place and I know the Lord is looking out for the people here. A lot of young couples come here for school and I can tell the positive influence they leave on the people who are born and raised here. It's so Christian. I've never seen so many different churches close together in my life! It's amazing their faith and what joy it is to testify of the Restoration to them. They have this belief and faith and you can then offer more! Not only will we be with God, but we can also be like him with our Eternal families forever. This brings me so much joy and I am grateful for Christ's atonement for making this possible for us. I love you all so much!
Love, Sister Mullen

PS- Mom would it work for you if we skyped on Sunday at 7pm Louisiana time? I'm excited to talk to you all as well! It'll be fun to see all your faces!! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!! Here's my Address: Sister Kimberly Mullen 2300 Edenborn Ave #136 Metairie, LA 70001

No comments:

Post a Comment