Saturday, February 11, 2012

Letter #40: Yo se que El Libro de Mormon es verdadero

Hola!
I love Spanish... Yo Amo Español! Hermana Hoyos has taught me a little.... it's fun! But I'm terrible. At least typing you cannot tell my bad pronunciation! But I sent my first text in Spanish this week (all by myself!), we've taught several lessons and taken 1 Spanish tour. Very very fun. There are so many prepared and incredible Hispanic people to teach it's been incredible. We taught L**** today. Even though I could not understand the language, I was able to feel that sweet spirit when she prayed for the first time with us and we read from the Book of Mormon. It reminded me of summer with Sister Chau when we talked to many Chinese people and how when you cannot rely on the spoken word you really learn to rely on the spirit. You just pray so hard and the experiences are so sweet. L**** was a miracle. She usually goes to the beach on Saturday mornings with her husband and today she randomly decided not to, but felt peaceful about it. We called and she told Sister Hoyos later that now she knows the reason why. She needed to talk to us today! It was incredible.
I was able to teach R***** from Liverpool yesterday as well! He is so sincerely wanting to know whether the Book of Mormon is true and as we talked it turns out he's already been baptized a member! Just very less-active. I'm excited for him to go back to church. He has really good questions and I know as he reads and prays he'll feel that burning and sweet peace from the spirit that he's been yearning for.
It's amazing when you're blessed to find the prepared. You do a lot of weeding through the unprepared and have some interesting conversations, but it's all worth it when you see some one strengthening their faith in Christ because of those efforts. (For instance, today I had a guy come on and his biggest concern was if missionaries were allowed to listen to Taylor Swift... haha I found that one amusing! Apparently he's a big fan!) 
It's been interesting and challenging and tiring and rewarding and wonderful and crazy and very fun being a zone leader. Especially for extended zone, you're super busy, but it's great being tired in the Lord. We've had a really sick sister who I've grown really close to and so that's been a challenge, but it's amazing to see how the Lord looks out for his missionaries and all will work out as it should.
I had a neat experience studying this morning about Abinidai and Alma... it's amazing how the effects of one righteous man can ripple throughout eternity. Abinidai never saw the effects of his work, but he converted Alma who was able to convert many at the Waters of Mormon and change their lives for the better. I had prayed this morning to really have the spirit teach me and help strengthen my testimony of the Book of Mormon and the Prophet Joseph Smith. Almost immediately as I read Mosiah 18 I had questions and things I didn't understand, but I felt impressed to just keep reading. As I did within 12 verses the answer came, SO clearly. It was amazing! Heavenly Father truly answers prayers and sometimes he puts "stumbling blocks" as we see them in our path, or questions, or fears, or trials or challenges in our way to help us progress. Because as we overcome these challenges he blesses us with, we can strengthen our faith and grow in understanding! It was an incredible answer to prayer for me that I wanted to share with you simply so I can bear my testimony that prayer works. I have seen it in my life. I have felt the prayers for the missionaries as I work and I pray that you feel those prayers I know are being offered for our family, especially at this time. I'm praying for you all and love you so much. Thank you for your prayers. I know Heavenly Father hears them and answers them in His time and in the way that is best for us. He loves us so much. I truly stand all amazed and the love and blessings he continually gives us. We truly are forever indebted to him. Mosiah 2:19-24:
19 And behold also, if I, whom ye call your king, who has spent his days in your service, and yet has been in the service of God, do merit any thanks from you, O how you ought to thank your heavenly King!
20 I say unto you, my brethren, that if you should render all the thanks and praise which your whole soul has power to possess, to that God who has created you, and has kept and preserved you, and has caused that ye should rejoice, and has granted that ye should live in peace one with another—
21 I say unto you that if ye should serve him who has created you from the beginning, and is preserving you from day to day, by lending you breath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own will, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your whole souls yet ye would be unprofitable servants.
22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.
23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.
24 And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?

I love you all so much. Thank you for your endless love and support. I hope to hear from you soon, and please know you're in my thoughts and prayers! There is so much work to be done in this world so thank you for all you do to help serve and sacrifice to raising righteous families and supporting the church in your callings and donations to furthering the work of the Lord. You're all examples to me!
All my love,
Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment