Saturday, November 19, 2011

Letter #29:The Osmonds

Hello Family!
 
Well... I'm trying to think back on the week and drawing a blank on specifics! Time is so weird on the mission... it goes by SO fast but it also feels like an eternity at the same time, so I cannot even recall what happened in the time frame of a week. So I'll refer to my planner.... OK! Met a Sister missionary going to Calgary - so look out for a Sister missionary with the first name Kelsey from North Carolina! She was super cute.
 
We had some pretty cool teaching experiences this week.  I got to teach our former APs friend (K***** F*****), so when I called him (J*******) they were actually together! It was kinda cool because it was like teaching a lesson with a member present, but over the phone, and with some one you know really well! It was awesome. We more just chatted all together and then called him back a little later to have the real lesson. He's an awesome guy and we enjoy teaching him.
 
We have an investigator names Michael who is just amazing!!! We met him on chat and we thought at first he might just be angry or antagonistic, but it turns out he is SUPER sincere and interested. We only needed to call him once and he already had set up a time to meet with the Elders that night, and when we invited him to be baptized he said "yup! That's the whole goal!!" Just amazingly prepared. We called again and he's planning on being baptized on December 24th or 25th. Talk about a nice Christmas gift! The gift of the Holy Ghost! We're so excited for him. We didn't even have to do anything hardly for him, we were just blessed to be part of the process of linking him up with the local missionaries. Easy easy and such a blessing!
 
Others however, it's not as easy and it can be quite the process to get them to church, to read, to pray, to recognize answers to prayers. Ideally the transition from us to the local missionaries should be flawless and quick, but sometimes it takes foreverrrrr.... I dont' know why, but it's been a big challenge for many of those we're teaching, so we have to get them to call the bishop to get the missionaries number to call them and get them over. We love teaching them but you're anxious for them to progress and there's only so much you can do over the phone. But! We had one cool experience last night while planning for one lady we've been teaching for a while. We had committed her to call the elders and set up a time, and then send us a text when she did it. So as we planned Sister Lane asks me, did M**** ever text us? as I say nooo.. :( our phone buzzes!!!! "AHHH IT'S HER!!!" Sister Lane screams. haha so I go over and check the phone... and IT WAS!!! Wow... it was just pretty exciting for us and such perfect timing. haha unfortunately the text wasn't good news. She had gotten too busy preparing a Thanksgiving dinner event and didn't have a chance so she was texting to apologize but saying we're doing a good job and she hopes she does better. Sad....But- That's ok! She texted and it was funny the timing and hopefully next time it'll be better news too :) That'll just make the story THAT much better.
 
This last story I'll share is mainly for Mom (because I don't know if you've heard but Donny Osmond used to be as big as Michael Jackson... I know! Crazy right?! No one believes me.... ;) haha anyways... I called this lady last night and she is OBSESSED with the Osmonds like you wouldn't believe. Wow... this lady! I don't even know where to begin, but we'll just say she has a copy of the Book of Mormon autographed by Jay Osmond!! Yup.... She's interested in everything that has to do with them, so therefore the church! She asks me all sorts of questions, and I found myself relating everything to the Osmonds in order to teach the gospel. I found myself saying a lot of sentences I never thought I'd say before... haha for example. "Yes, the Osmonds believe that families can be together forever because of the Temples..." "I'm sorry I don't know how often the Osmonds attend the Salt Lake City Temple..." "Yes I know the Osmonds have stayed close together as a family through trials... and just like the Osmonds, you and your family can overcome these trials as you turn to God." "You can come to know these truths through reading the Book of Mormon that Jay Osmond sent you..." "Have you ever wondered why these things are so important to the Osmonds... why the Osmonds believe what they believe?... ." It was weird, but actually somewhat effective haha.... but she was great!  She was asking about their song about the refiners fire and what that meant, so I was able to teach about the scriptures and she was worried for David since he's divorced and how does Eternal Marriage work for him now? Wow... Anyways, I've rambled on enough now, but I sincerely tried to teach her as best I could and I knew exactly what mattered most to her so yea! But I never have had such a phone call before... haha very entertaining! (I really hope this doesn't sound disrespectful or anything... it was just kinda of a difference and funny call. I loved her though! and the Osmonds are great!) I'm sure they've done a TON to spread the good word and help people to find the gospel, so hopefully it will for her too now! She's great.
 
Anyways, I know that's a random note to leave on... but I must go! Hopefully these more specific stories are somewhat interesting.... I love teaching and helping people see how this can help their lives. It's so wonderful to see them start to pray or read the Book of Mormon or go to church cause you know this is what will make them happy. Of course it's hard when they don't do those things because you just love them and want what's best for them, but it's hard for them to see that and you can only do so much (especially when you're in a different state or country than they are). But anyways, we've been blessed to see people progress and it really does bring a lot of joy to see that. So make sure you all keep doing those things too because I know with complete surety that they are what bring us happiness, peace and strength.
 
Love you all so much!
 
Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment