Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Letter #7: Romney & Beck, Referrals & Baptism & Stalking in the Lion House

Family!!!
It's been a wonderful week! So much has happened and we've been keeping busy! Britt seeing you was super fun and I'm glad you were able to enjoy the concert through my creepy means! haha I realize that's kinda sketch of me to be giving out your number to random people but I'm really glad it all worked out! (but I did talk to him for quite a while and knew he was a good guy so it's all good)... but the best part of seeing you was (sorry Alanna... She may have spilled the beans...) but CONGRATS!!! I'll just leave it at that till you tell me "yourself" and I said I'd pretend to be excited still when I found out from you... which is kinda pointless because you won't see my reaction. But honestly... I cannot tell you just how thrilled I am to hear your good news. I'm so so happy and you've been in my thoughts and prayers already. That's just so wonderful! (I kinda cried a little bit right there on the square). I love you so much.
Thanks for the recipes Mommy! I'm excited to get cooking and baking! I've been eating Asian food a bit whenever Sis Giang cooks so that's been good for me. She knows not to try anything too exotic on me though... I'm still warming up to all these different foods they eat here. Since there's so many sisters from all over, it's no typical lunches you see in our kitchens. haha! So many interesting foods. I'm getting introduced to lots of things and it's been interesting!  
Oh I thought I'd comment on your letter mom where you were tlaking about Glen Beck. You'd be surprised how many people bring stuff like that up. We actually took a tour the other day, it went really well and we invited them to learn more with our referral cards and they kinda just openly said, "Oh we're baptist we dont' actually care about Mormonism. We just wanted to come here cause we're thinking of voting for Mit Romney and so we wanted to make sure this wasn't some crazy religion or anything." haha. Hope we earned their vote I guess!
So something really exciting happened yesterday... I got my first baptism!!! (whoever said that Temple Sqaure is just finding "pretty tour-guide" mission)... Seriously a miracle! His name is Guerby, he lives in NYC but is from Haiti and speaks Creole french. We met him on chat and the first thing he says to me was "I want to be mormon." haha Sis Giang thought he was definitely a troller (someone who comes on just to be offensive or waste your time), which is a typical thing for them to start with. But me, being an excited Greenie and niave, kinda kept with him and got to know him and his information. Since Sister Giang was skeptical she checked the address and called his number to see if it was legit and it was! She admits to "being humbled" haha but she just is a lot wiser about people on chat than I am. We were so excited. We taught him over the phone and worked really hard over the week to get him in touch with the missionaries and to go to church. He investigated for 3 years back in Haiti so he's so golden! It was rough with the language barrier though, so we were kinda were humbled and decided it would be in his best interest to transfer him to another french speaking sister cause his English is kinda broken so communication was slow. So we called him yesterday to let him know that we were going to do that and when we did he answered the phone saying "I AM MORMON! I AM MORMON!" haha we were kinda confused but it turns out the Sister Missionaries in NYC got our referral and were at his house right then! We talked with them and he has a baptism date for June 26 so we're all so excited for him. We'll not teach him as much over the phone now that he has the missionaries face-to-face but we'll still be able to keep in touch and hear about his progress :) I'm so thrilled for him. Ahhh it'll just bless his life so much.
We've had a lot of fun though. Another fun teaching story from this week was about Bob and Jane. Such a darling couple from the south. We took them through the Beehive house and they really enjoyed it and we just had such a great time teaching them and they were so receptive. They just loved everything through the square and so we were so sure they'd refer and want to learn more. However they seemed kinda confused about the card thinking they already had filled it out in the conference center (which is just a guest book, not a referral) and so they left without filling out the card. We were kinda bummed cause we were so excited for them and knew they'd just eat up the message but they think they're getting the missionaries but they're not. so.... (I'm not sure if I should admit to this but...) haha they had mentioned that they were going to eat at the Lionhouse after and we just so happened to have dinner a little bit after the tour ended. So we weren't sure whether it was a good idea or not, but after a quick prayer we decided to do something very bold! Instead of going back to the visitors center and eating, we kinda stalked them and conveniently bumped into them at the lionhouse! I'm so glad we did too. We had a nice little visit and were able to re-invite them. This time they understood and unfortunately Bob is a deacon of the baptist church so he wasn't ok with it, but the wife had been confused and if it weren't for her husband I'm sure she would've welcomed the missionaries. But that's ok! I'm just so glad we were able to visit with them again and even though they didn't end up referring, we knew that we did everything we could. They were a lovely couple celebrating their 52nd anniversary :) It was kinda fun and I got to eat at the Lionhouse! Yum (I've now eaten there three times. Definitely perks to serving here. 1st time- celebrating Brigham Young's birthday with my zone. 2nd time- stalking Bob and Jane. 3rd time- running an errand for another sister). This is not normal and I don't intend on making it a habit cause 1) it's expensive and 2) I really don't want to weigh 300 lbs when I come home!!
Ok so something I'm REALLY excited about is we had a mission conference this week where Elder Allen and Elder Lusvardi from the missionary department came and talked to us. AMAZING! They announced and showed to us the new "Gods plan for his family" video. You know that video on temple square that you go room to room in? teaches about the plan of salvation? They updated it and I think it is SOOOO powerful. I hope you all get a chance to see it. It's just amazing. I love you all so much and I am grateful for the knowledge that we can be together forever. That's really what this gospel is all about and what exaltion is! Without Christ and the restoration of this gospel, to have the authority to perform these ordinances in our sacred temples this would not be possible. We are so so blessed!!
Well I better run. Hope all is well with you! Your letters make my day and I cherish each one of them! Also please tell Gran thank you for her generosity in offering to make me another summer skirt. I'd LOVE that! I don't really have a way to take my measurements right now, but I'll try to find out a way. And I'll try to mail off that stuff for my drivers record sometime (last Pday was a little too hectic so I'll try to get that done this week). Thanks so so much for everything! I love you all so much.
Sis Mullen
PS- for you sisters that are feeling guilty about writing, I forgive you ;) haha no no... just teasing!! But I do have more time on the computers now (meaning they don't time you) so if you have to resort to the quick odd email that's OK now :) whereas in the MTC it was just kinda stressful. But I love hearing from you even if it is a sentance or two!
MMMMMUUUUUAAAAA!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment